SIOUX FALLS, SD (KELO-AM) With the upcoming Independence Day holiday and accompanying fireworks allowed by South Dakota state law, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind the citizens of Sioux Falls of the City ordinance for fireworks.
Public use of fireworks within the city of Sioux Falls shall be limited to those specific Class 1.4G fireworks having no audible report or projectile or launching components. Examples of prohibited use fireworks include, but are not limited to, firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, parachutes, and similar devices intended to propel or project flaming or explosive materials.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind the community that the discharge of fireworks within city limits is illegal and could result in a fine of up to $200 and/or 30 days in jail. We encourage families to take in a professional fireworks presentation this Independence Day. Not only is a professionally produced fireworks display much more spectacular but, more importantly, it is much safer!
If you travel outside of Sioux Falls to participate in fireworks use, please keep the following safety precautions in mind:
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
- Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Only light fireworks on a smooth and flat surface. Keep fireworks away from buildings, dry leaves and grass, and flammable materials.
- Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby in case of a malfunction or fire.