PIERRE, S.D.KELO AM)--No time to get away? Take a mini vacation at a South Dakota state park. Several special events offering activities for the entire family will take place at parks across the state.
- 35th Annual Sioux River Folk Festival, Newton Hills State Park near Canton, Friday, Aug. 1 through Sunday, Aug. 3. Newton Hills State Park is hosting three days of folk music, dancing and family fun during the annual Sioux River Folk Festival. Info: 605-987-2263, www.fotm.org
- Riverman/Riverwoman Sprint Triathlon, Farm Island Recreation Area near Pierre, Aug. 2, 7:40 a.m. CDT. Compete as an individual or as part of a team in this annual event. Take a 0.4-mile swim along swim beach, an 18-mile bike ride on SD Hwy 34, and a 3.5-mile run on the island trail. Info: 605-773-2885
- Bean Bag Tourney, Newton Hills State Park near Canton, Aug. 2, 10 a.m. CDT. Bring your game face to this bean bag tournament! We have a limited number of bean bag sets, so first come, first served. All ages are welcome, and prizes will be awarded to both participants and winners. Info: 605-987-2263
- Kayaking for Fun, North Point Recreation Area near Pickstown, Aug. 2, 10 a.m. CDT. Learn how to kayak safely and efficiently. Kayaks will be provided. Bring your own personal floatation device, if possible. Pre-registration required: 605-487-7046
- Dutch Oven Cooking Demonstration, Roy Lake State Park near Lake City, Aug. 2, 3 p.m. CDT. Learn how to cook with a Dutch oven. Info: 605-448-5474
- Music in the Park: John and Susan McNeill, Chief White Crane Recreation Area near Yankton, Aug. 2, 7 p.m. CDT. Singing duo, John and Susan McNeill, share their talents. Bring a lawn chair and enjoy the great music! Info: 605-668-2985
- Evening with the Owls, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area near Fort Pierre, Aug. 2, 8:30 p.m. CDT. Enjoy a walk and talk on South Dakota owls. Info: 605-223-7722
- Pedal to the Park, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Bruce, Aug. 3, 12:30 p.m. CDT. Begin at Sioux River Bicycle & bike to Oakwood Lakes State Park. Refreshments will be provided at the park. Return rides will not be furnished. Everyone is encouraged to bike back or arrange for a ride. Fee: $8, proceeds go to the Parks and Wildlife Foundation. Info: 605-627-5441
A park entrance license is required to enter all parks. Participants are encouraged to wear suitable shoes, dress for the weather and apply insect repellant.For more information on South Dakota State Parks, please visit www.gfp.sd.gov or call 605-773-3391.
- See more at: http://gfp.sd.gov/news/news/july/24.aspx#sthash.MYpuOgf7.dpuf