SIOUX FALLS, SD (KELO-AM) Remember those old mercury thermometers with the silver liquid? Maybe you have one or two still lurking in your medicine cabinet or the bottom of that junk drawer at home. If it were to break, the release of the mercury in the thermometer may pose a serious health risk to you, your family, friends, and public or private employees managing waste from your home. The release of mercury also poses a threat to the environment.
If you would like to get rid of your household mercury thermometers, please take them to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility and exchange them for a new, digital thermometer—at no cost to you! The Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located a half-mile north of Rice Street on the corner of Cliff Avenue and Chambers Street.
Please double-bag any item containing mercury and place it in a plastic container before transporting. Only mercury thermometers are accepted for the exchange; thermometers containing red or blue liquid are not eligible. Limit one digital thermometer per customer as long as supplies last. This program is provided by the City of Sioux Falls Public Works Environmental Division.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility1015 East Chambers Street, Sioux FallsOpen Tuesday to Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.Saturday, 8 a.m.–12 noonClosed Sundays and Mondays
For more information about hazardous waste disposal, please contact the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 605-367-8695.